Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The future of Desktop Publishing...is it a thing of the Past?

When I was first asked this question, my get reaction was a resounding "yes"! With all of the other tools out there, why would ANYONE ever use Adobe or MS Word? However, in completing some recent work for classes and private contractors, I am backing off of that resounding "yes". I think that there will be changes, but I do not feel that DTP will go away. True, there are a plethora of on-line publishing sites that are independent of the PC/Mac debate. That being said, the need to type and print will never go away, especially for those old-school teachers like me...I love technology but do not always trust it. If nothing else, DTP products will still provide a backup in the event of computer crashes or power failures. DTP will, I feel, remain a viable tool for kids to use to display certain understandings of topics and concept attainment. See this article for more on this discussion.

1 comment:

Scott Mooney said...

Are you saying that DTp is going to be replaced? Relying on the possibility of "crashes" as an argument seems weak to me. There is much more to this. DTP forces skills such as layout design, choice of material (you can write on and on and on and on and on on the web without fear of running out of room - not so with DTP), etc.

Keep going with this thought - it seems like it needs more...